Fuji X100T and VSCO Cam | Philippines part 1

Believe it or not, but when leaving for the four-month family trip around Asia, I decided I need something smaller and more compact than my old Fuji X-E1. Since Christmas was only 4 weeks ahead, I gave myself a gift: new shiny black Fuji X100T. Compactness was one major reason. Another one was the Wi-Fi feature, which allowed me to travel without a laptop, but with a tablet and smartphone only. Thanks to this setup I was uploading pictures directly to my little dual sim Motorola Moto E (another great compact yet powerful travel companion), processing with VSCO Cam and posting straight to the social media (here’s my instagram profile). No need to carry heavy computer, no need to wait with post-processing (at least the initial one) until I’m back at home in April – I can share some of the pictures already now!

Below you will find a sample of pictures taken with Fuji X100T (all SOOC JPEG’s) and slightly processed in VSCO Cam. In most cases I didn’t use the presets, just the basic exposure dials, because Fuji colors are so perfect most of the time.

Regarding the camera itself, I’m still getting used to the new focal length (I was shooting almost exclusively with the 35mm 1.4 for the last three years), but apart from that I feel like I have finally found the one. I won’t go into details, because there’s already dozens of X100T reviews on the net. Let me just say that apart from the obvious advantages like improved speed and ergonomics, this camera simply has a soul. And I mean it when I say that: taking pictures with it is magical.

P.S. I have no idea why and how to use the OVF, even with the digital rangefinder feature. Maybe it’s just not suitable for my photography style, because I only shoot with EVF (to make that framing perfect the first time). Please share your advise! What’s the technique and use cases for taking advantage of the OVF? Many thanks.

P.S.2 Click here to start following me on Instagram.

Processed with VSCOcam

Processed with VSCOcam

As a bonus, two pictures taken with the little Fuji X20:

Processed with VSCOcam

Processed with VSCOcam

14 Comments

1. Pingback: Fuji X100T and VSCO Cam – Philippines part 1 |

2. Pingback: Fuji X100T and VSCO Cam | Philippines | Jakub Puchalski › Scoop.it › THOMAS MENK || PHOTOGRAPHY

3. Bas Thijssen 14 January 2015 at 11:07 PM

I love the look. What did you do with the pics in VSCO? Very nice and subtile. Something with the blacks and contrast but can’t figure it out 😉

Regards,
    Bas

4. jpuchalski 15 January 2015 at 1:24 AM

Hi! First of all most of the pics were shot in DR400 mode hence the contrast and stunning (im my humble opinion) dynamic range. The ‘boats at sunset’ pics have a little increased saturation, a bit pushed up shadows and +3 blue shadow tint. The others have slightly increased exposure and/or contrast. All shot in classic chrome except the fruit market shot in velvia and palm beach shot in B&W R.

5. V. Opoku 15 January 2015 at 4:26 AM

Awesome pics dude, I love my x100s. Here is a helpful article on the OVF : http://vopoku.com/fujifilm-ovf-focusing/

V.

6. Chris 18 January 2015 at 12:26 AM

Were you using the Fuji remote control app to transfer images from your X100T to the phone?
    It seems when I transfer using the phone app it seems to reduce / compress the files, IE from 5mb to 500kb,
    Any suggestions how to transfer full size images?
    Am using an iphone / ipad…

Thanks!

7. jpuchalski 18 January 2015 at 4:25 PM

Indeed, the Camera Remote app, which I use, decreases the size of the files (not only the size, but also resolution). Unfortunately I have not found the way to change it in the settings. For social media / blogging it is ok, but should not be used as file backup solution.

8. jpuchalski 18 January 2015 at 4:48 PM

Hi, this is very comprehensive article on the OVF mechanics, thanks. In fact, I do understand all that based on the camera manual and playing around with it, but I still do not understand why would I use it at all? EVF seems to have plenty of advantages over the OVF: exact framing, live view, live histogram, depth of field, film simulation, it’s bring and fast in most cases. What are the situations that would convince me to use the OVF?

9. Pingback: miXed zone: Kashmir & Istanbul Workshops :: Combo Actus & Fuji-X :: Adobe & X-Trans :: Morgen Spurlock & X-PRO1 :: & more | Fuji Rumors

10. Pingback: Fuji X100T and VSCO Cam | Philippines part 1 by Jakub Puchalski | Fuji Source

11. Matt 2 April 2015 at 2:04 AM

FYI, if you go to ‘”Wireless Settings”‘ under Menu > Wrench 3, there’s a setting called “Resize image for smartphone 3M”—if you turn that off, the full image should transfer when you use the iPhone app to transfer images to your phone.

12. Nani Annette 1 June 2015 at 9:12 PM

Absolutely in love with the b&w beach frame!

13. gabriele lopez photography 3 June 2015 at 12:47 PM

OVF can be interesting, not better…

First, it helps in really hard light conditions when there’s a lot of light and evf looks “blinded”…then again, it takes the vision close to a rangefinder style, you can see a little more of what you are framing, or where subject that are going out of frame are directed. Way more simple (you said, evf has all those informations around…yes i know you can turn them off but we do not, they are useful) it lets you focus on simple settings and shoot in a more instinctive way especially if you are working on zone focus and/or with manual lens adapted on the camera. The ovf is one of the reasons I still use x-pro against anything else but of course it’s just a matter of taste and personal experience, and rangefinder-style photography is not for anyone, it’s just different, way more simple and back to basics.

Fuji made different cameras, that’s the point, having a smaller dslr is not the only bullet to have 🙂

Thanks! G

14. Daniel Henrik Hogal 20 July 2016 at 8:45 PM

Hi Jakub,

I just stopped by to say thank you for sharing your photos with the world. I’ve got to your website via searching for Fujifilm x100t sample images on Google. I was looking for pics as I am thinking to buy the camera too. I am very impressed by the imagey quality and harmony what comes through your stills. I can clearly see now that it is a great camera with a real soul as you mentioned earlier on in your blog. Your eye for magical photos helped a lot to come to come to this conclusion of course. 🙂 Great blog magical images. All the best. Daniel from Hungary.